Friday, January 6, 2012

Lazy Day

Today was a slow day of playing around.  I did manage to get one thing done though.  I seasoned my cast iron skillet!!!  I know what you are thinking..."big whoop."  Well, I am very sorry to say that I let my skillet get horrible.  There were even a couple small rust spots.  No excuses here.  But now....it looks B-E-A-U-TIFUL.
 Thanks to my mother-in-law, I remembered how.  So if any of you need to.... just coat your pan all over with oil.  I poured some of my canola oil into the pan and then took a paper towel and rubbed the pan top to bottom.  When you are done, soak up the excess inside with another paper towel.  It doesnt have to be perfect, but if there is a lot then it will make your house stink pretty bad when you put it in the oven.  Set your oven to about 300 degrees and put your pan in there for about an hour.  I set a baking sheet on the rack underneath so oil can drip onto it if needed.  After I pulled it out, I wiped the skillet with a paper towel, and it looks magnificent!  I set an old rag in the cabinet under the skillet just to soak up any oil still left.

**There is still a slight odor of burning oil as it bakes, so I would turn on the vent and/or leave a window open.
 I really should have taken a before pic.  It was very sad.
 We also went through a whole bag of apples today.  I peeled and cored one for my sweet little guy and he went crazy!  You can't blame him.  They may be a little more pricey than others, but Honeycrisp apples are so delicious.
 The girls ate them all day.  Blake would have, but he only has his 4 little teeth so I had to keep a very close eye on him. 
Heaven forbid you take the apple away.  And how can you?

No comments: