Friday, December 30, 2011

10-minute fix and tutorial

Now, if you are like me, then before/after Christmas brings a need to organize.  For us, we go through toys before and after.  One of the big problems we have are STUFFED ANIMALS.....dum, dum, dummmmm.  They take up so much room and for many kids (like mine), they are rarely played with.  That said, we do not just throw away all of these, because some are sentimental.  There are grandparents that my children dont see very often and they like to send their grandchildren adorable stuffed animals to love. 
So...we went to every store and looked in almost every section and could not find one of those animal nets!  Anyway, I had some extra jersey knit lying around doing nothing and decided to make one.  It literally took me about 10 minutes and didnt cost me a penny.  You can even omit some of my steps.
You start with a triangle.  It does NOT have to be measured perfect by any means, because you cant tell at all when it is filled and the distance of each end changes things as well. 
My "net" is about 3 feet long on the front side that faces out.  You can make it however big or small you want.

After my triangle, I cut 3 strips of knit about 1 inch wide and 11 inches long. You can adjust the measurements if you prefer to have shorter straps. I then folded the strips in half and did a zigzag stitch down it. I mostly did this to make it look a little better and be a little more durable. This is one of the steps that you can omit. 
Next, I took the strips to each corner and folded the corner down like I was going to hem it.
Fold the corner once more....
and then move the strip back to the outside. Pin in place so you can stitch it together.
Sew two lines across the top and bottom of the hem. Folding it over and stitching it this way is also another way to make it a little more durable. :) Can't beat that with little monkeys running around. 
This is what you will then have at all three corners:
Now it's time to hang it up! I used these handy little guys that came out of my tool pouch.
I then put all the animals in it and decided to tie some ribbon, that I had a ton of, to the ends to make it look a little more girly since my knit was blue.  Now...I did not do any other hemming on this, because it was jersey knit.  If the fabric that you have on hand frays, you can choose to hem or not to hem.  A hem would be a great detail, but you can also argue that you arent going to be washing this every weekend so perhaps you may feel that there is no need to hem.   Either is awesome!  It would look adorable coordinated with their room. 

**update:  This has been up for over a year now, and has still held up.  I may make another one with cuter fabric, though.

No comments: